Jared Smith's Cheesy bacon potatoes
The sixth in a series of posts that bring together the two sides of my blog: Food and technology. I’ve asked the great and the good from the web standards community to share their favourite recipes. This fabulous outdoors recipe is from Jared Smith.
- Makes: 8 to 10 helpings
- Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 8 to 10 potatoes (sliced)
- 6 rashers bacon
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cups/300g cheddar cheese (grated)
- Lawry's seasoning or salt and pepper
- Line the bottom of a 12" dutch oven with the bacon, then place over coals or in an oven until the bacon browns slightly on one side.
- Break the bacon into small bits, and layer it together with the potatoes and onions.
- Add plenty of Lawry’s seasoning, salt and pepper to taste, put the lid on the dutch oven and cook at 375f/195c for about an hour or until the potatoes have begun to soften.
- Add small amounts of water and stir occasionally to ensure tenderness and even cooking.
- Sprinkle two cups of cheddar cheese over the mixture, stir lightly and continue cooking until the potatoes re tender.
- Just before serving, sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top and allow to melt.
It’s hard to pick a favorite, and admittedly, I’m a bit of a meat and potatoes out-doorsy type of guy, so here’s one of my favorite recipes, which incidentally contains both meat and potatoes and is typically eaten outdoors!