Chorizo, Taleggio & polenta bake
Like most good recipes, this one has evolved over the years. It's one of those dishes that you can play fast and loose with, without worrying about it at all. Two of my favourite foods are chorizo and cheese, so this recipe comes perilously close to heaven as far as I'm concerned!
- Makes: 4/6 helpings
- Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 300g polenta
- 250g chorizo sausage
- 1 red onion
- 150ml stock
- 1.5tbsp fresh chopped Rosemary
- 1.5tbsp fresh chopped Sage
- 350g Taleggio cheese
- 150g Parmesan cheese
- Make the polenta, or use ready made for convenience.
- Cut the chorizo sausage into slices roughly 1cm thick.
- Peel and finely chop the red onion.
- Measure out fresh stock, or make up instant stock from a stock cube.
- Grate the parmesan cheese.
- Take the rind off the Taleggio and tear it into rough chunks.
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Add the chorizo slices to a hot dry frying pan, and cook until the oils are released and the chorizo starts to crisp ever so slightly at the edges.
- Add the chopped red onion, and cook for about five minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the stock and half the chopped herbs and mix well with the chorizo and red onion.
- Turn the heat down to absolute minimum, just enough to keep the mixture warm on the hob.
- Cut the polenta into slices roughly 1cm thick, and line the bottom of a baking dish.
- Chuck half of the chorizo mixture on top, spreading evenly.
- Add half the Taleggio and half the parmesan to create a cheese layer on top of the chorizo.
- Sprinkle on half the remaining herbs, then repeat the process starting with the polenta.
- Sprinkle the remaining herbs on top, and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes.